Monday, October 22, 2007

World Series Bound!

Wow. What a 3-game stretch. Have you ever seen a series turn like that? Every single thing about this series got dumped on its head these last couple games. Cleveland went from being loose and confident to playing like they just came from their favorite pet's funeral. Combine that with the fact that Boston got EVERY SINGLE break in Game 7 (Ramirez's bad-hop RBI in 1st, the blown call when Manny threw out Lofton, the 3rd base coach inexplicably holding Lofton at third, Casey Blake doing his best Roger Dorn impersonation) and before you know it, Papelbon is doing the Papelbon and Victor Martinez (revealed as a giant douchebag during this series) is crying in the dugout.

I set a new personal record Saturday night when I received 67 Game 6-related texties. People were coming out of the woodwork to either talk shit or congratulate me (did anyone else know that Mike Haley was a Cleveland fan? Me neither) and as a result, I had to be Johnny Hot Buttons all night. So thanks to everyone who participated. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I texted T. Nels at 7:26 p.m. CST:

''My prediction for Schilling: 7 innings 6 hits 2 runs''

Schilling's actual line: 7 innings 6 hits 2 runs. Toot toot.

Now I know that the 2004 run was pretty much the greatest event in my life since the Rebel Alliance blew up the second Death Star, but this year is a very close second. Just a really enjoyable group of guys. If the Indians were a 9 on the "How scared am I of this team?" scale, and the Angles were a -4, then the Rockies are a 6. Which is also how many games I think it will take for the Sox to wrap up another title.