Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Knights Of Columbus, That Hurt!

Quick story: we're at the Rangers/Royals game last night, and there is a high foul ball somewhat near our seats. This kid, probably about 8 years old, is camped under it, he's got his glove up, he's totally ready for it....and he completely misses it and it richochets off the top of his head and lands probably 30 yards away. One of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I couldn't even properly enjoy it since the whole crowd was reacting like it was their own kid or something. They were absolutely horrified, I thought the lady next to me (not Alex) was going to start crying. Maybe I'm going to hell since I immediately broke out laughing, received a few dirty looks, quickly cut my laughing short and said, "Ooooohhhhh.....I hope he's not hurt!" Then I went back to my giant tray of chili cheese fries and laughed really hard in my head. And no, the kid wasn't hurt. Badly. Side note: I have now attended 8 Royals games, and have yet to see them win one.

A few things that I like right now, so you should too:

Weeds. Don't know how many of you I've already told to watch this show, but do it. It's probably the most addicting TV show I've ever watched. I don't really watch TV anymore (just sports.) I can't make the commitment to be home at a certain time every week to watch, and then if you miss one week, you're effed. So I just buy a few TV shows on DVD and run through them like that. And I like this system. I don't care that I'm a year behind on some shows (but don't tell me what's happening in The Office!) and I don't get particularly fired up when they do finally come out. Maybe just mildly excited. My point is: when the new season of Weeds comes out, I'm practically frothing at the mouth by the time we finally put the DVD in. Then we watch the entire season in 1 or 2 sittings, and I'm legimately depressed that I have to wait a whole year to watch another new episode. Just a fantastic show. Watch it.

Vampire Weekend. I don't usually come across music that has been released since 2001 unless it is spoon-fed to me by Schneweis, but I recently heard these guys on Mary's blog and loved them....not enough to go buy any of their music, but enough to download a shit-ton of it for free.

Last night's Sox/Yankees game. Some clutch hitting, Giambi being an idiot, A-Rod going 0-5, stranding a bunch of runners, booting grounders, and getting booed mercilessly....this game had it all. Although I do have to give A-Rod some credit, his post-game interview where he accepted blame and unleashed a little bit of a sailor's mouth was decent. If he acted like that more often, instead of such a whiny bitch most of the time, I would have more respect for him. Like Waylon Jennings and my boy Vampire Hunter D would say, "New York City is a bad place to be...."

The commercial (Wendy's? Burger King? something like that) where the dude talks about being a meatatarian. That's me, right there. That commercial came on yesterday, I was clearly enjoying it, and Alex, with visions of me putting down two steak burritos and a bag of chips from Chipotle fresh in her mind, asks me if it's too soon for me to start taking medicine to help prevent heart attacks down the road. Booyeah.

My new putter/putting grip. I decided I needed a complete putting overhaul, so I bought a putter that is an actual golf brand (I've never had a nice one before, I had been using the same knock-off piece of shit for the last 8 years) and changed up my grip, so I'm now resembling Justin Leonard more than my boy Phil. Now I'm scoring a little better, so maybe I can join the tour and hopefully win $275,000 to buy back my grandma's house. Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit.